Monday, April 30, 2012

"Sheep Revisited" by Taryn Day


oil on board
6"x6"

I think this sheep has the most beautiful nose (and therefore head) in the world, so I decided to paint him/her one more time.


This painting took me two days. Sometimes I wonder if it looks like I dash these things off. The reality is that sometimes there is a fair measure of agonizing along the way. To put things simply, while painting, I feel as though I am continually in danger of getting lost in a forest of detail, and have to keep forcing myself to keep an eye on the big picture. 

To see more of my work visit:

7 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Such vibrant colors and bold brushstrokes- you know exactly where and how to place those strokes-I've been trying to paint , using minimal strokes--it's not easy--must keep trying to break up surfaces into planes- anyway--nice painting.

Cecelia Lyden said...

PS--your background suggests Mark Rothko to me.

Dianne Lorden said...

Great job using all those hues in the beautiful nose! Looks perfect!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

And I thought the first one was perfection! This is wonderful, Taryn. Your style is so fresh and spontaneous - doesn't really matter how long it takes, because it works so beautifully.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

I especially like the blades of grass in the front.

Ron Donoughe said...

Interesting observation by Cecelia. It just is amazing how much information you get on a 6 x 6 panel. Aren't you just dying to go 6 x 6 feet with one of these?

Larry Lerew said...

I agree with Ron. You have so much power packed into a small area. A much larger scale version would be even more amazing.