Friday, October 17, 2014

OLD WEATHERED SHED By Cecelia Lyden



oil/stretched canvas
9x12
www.cecelialyden.com

Thank you, Mary Beth for arranging the paintout at the lovely Walsh Farm in Mechanicsburg. All I could think of, as I looked around was, how lucky it would be to wake up every morning to this beautiful scenery. The farm and the surrounding landscape offered many subjects for painting. This old shed and the drying hydrangea caught my attention right away. 
Now I've known for decades that good composition is a necessity for a successful painting. I hesitated before I began, because I could see the problem with working out the composition. The shed and the hydrangea were too close in size and importance and split the canvas almost in half. However, I let my desire to paint both of them take over and proceeded. I spent the next few hours,  trying to connect both halves of canvas with overlapping branches. I added hydrangeas on both sides of the shed and another blossom reaching toward the shed. I probably should have moved the shrub over-but didn't think to do that: so engrossed I was, in painting the moss on the roof and the blossoms on the shrub. Not the first time I did not see the "forest through the trees". Will I ever learn?

1 comment:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

The moss and the hydrangea are so pretty!
Yes--moss is pretty = )
I like your openness in this post...Thanks for sharing your wonderful painting, Cecelia!